5 Top Skincare Tips for Any Season
We are certainly feeling winter with record breaking cold weather around the country! It’s the season for dry skin — but it doesn’t have to be. Say goodbye to chafing, chapping, cracking, and flaking. And let’s also nod a namaste to premature aging, which can result from neglected and stressed skin. Here are some items I use regularly to keep skin, hair, and nails in tip-top shape year-round:
- Collagen: This important protein is a building block for bones, tendons, muscles, and ligaments. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and is essential for healthy skin. Collagen’s primary role is maintaining skin strength and elasticity, yet as it breaks down over time, can lead to wrinkles and aging. But good news, collagen can be purchased as a supplement, and it’s easy to add into oatmeal, smoothies, and coffee. There are many brands on the market, but I especially like this one from Axe.
- Aloe Vera: An extremely important ingredient for skin health that’s included in Essentiel. It’s also immensely beneficial to take internally for digestive health and liver function, and can reduce constipation and heartburn. Aloe is great for colon detox, and a healthy colon is key for clear skin. It’s great to drink as a juice for hydration (though watch out for ones with added sugar), and it also helps aid cell regeneration. Alternatively, you can take it in pill form. I like these convenient
- Omega-3: These fatty acids are essential nutrients found in food sources like avocado, salmon, flax and chia seeds, walnuts, and organic soybeans. They benefit skin by balancing oil production, maintaining hydration, reducing breakouts and preventing wrinkles. Omega-3s can also guard against dry, red, itchy skin, and dermatitis. They don’t just support skin, they also promote a healthy brain and eyes, and they optimize the immune system and reduce inflammation. Your moisturizer contains loads of these essential fatty acids, and here is another supplement I love.
- Olive Oil: This ingredient is of course in Essentiel — and coming from an Italian family — is especially dear to my heart. Olive oil has endless benefits. It’s rich in healthy fats, contains antioxidants, has anti-inflammatory properties, and may even reduce the risk of strokes and heart disease. Olive oil contains oleocanthal, an anti-inflammatory agent that improves inflammatory skin conditions, and squalene, known for anti-cancer properties. It’s a fabulous anti-aging agent for the skin that protects from free radical damage. I put olive oil on virtually everything. Yes, I’ve even been known to drizzle it on ice cream! Try to get organic, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil.
- MSM: Another essential ingredient in Essentiel! MSM is an odorless sulfur compound that’s most concentrated in the skin, hair, and nails. It helps bind keratin proteins and is needed for the body to produce collagen. Ancient Romans soaked in sulfuric baths, and it was considered the original fountain of youth. I’ve been taking MSM supplements since my 20s and recommend most brands from Whole Body.Nourish yourself inside and out with this amazing beauty mineral!
The cold weather doesn’t have to take a toll on your skin with these simple tips. Keep yourself heathy and hydrated both internally and externally. Armed with Essentiel and some easy-to-incorporate daily care — it’s easy to keep skin gorgeous all year round.
I always LOVE to hear from you, so please leave a comment below with your skincare favorites.